Saturday, April 25, 2009

eyes wide open

I really liked reading and discussing Eyes Wide Open. I wish that we could have spent more time on it. I feel like there are so many things that could be discuessed still.

For example...

In chapter four Romanonski says that "under normal circumstances people go to the movies FULLY aware that they are allowing themselves to be drawn into the world of film."

I think it's so funny how people desire to be a part of the film world, yet are content with only watching it instead than taking part of it. The movie screen provides a kind of barrier that separates us from the film world and makes us invisible.

But I think that's how we would prefer it. I saw Obsessed this weekend, and although the drama was entertaining to watch, I can't say that I would want that to be my life. There was no point at which I thought, "Man, I wish that was me." The entirety of that particular film was all based on lust and lies. Sin is always intriguing and fun for a little while, but it always ends badly.

In the book it is said that the theater has an important role in shaping society. Some people do take this principles of deceit, lying, and pretence into action in their own lives. I have a friend who feels the need to live her life like a soap opera. The more her life is like a movie or a magazine article the happier she is. This is a lot of the reason why church leaders have distain for the theater.

No comments:

Post a Comment