Saturday, April 25, 2009

just sit back and enjoy the ride

We covered a lot of ground in our last discussion. Bruce Springsteen was the main focus as we talked about chapter eight, but I still feel like there was a lot more to be seen in that chapter.

One concept in particular that stuck out to me was that "most films depict a world in which God is absent or non-existent."

I never realized that before. I think one of the reasons the idea of God irritates society so much is that, if there IS a God, then there is a being that is not limited by human merit. Our thoughts and ways are not God’s thoughts and ways, and bo human being can foretell consequences like God can.

Not being in control, and being left out of the loop really drives people crazy. People of all ages for that matter. I remember riding in the car as a kid and my mom would turn a different way than we normally would go to go home. I would always ask her, "now where are we going?" But she would just say, "Can't you just sit back and enjoy the ride?"

I couldn't just sit back and enjoy the ride, I had no idea where we were going! She wasn't giving me all the information, and I couldn't stand it. Movie-goers are the same way. I hate going to the movie theater with the kinds of people that like to verbalize what they think is going to happen next in a suspenseful film. They can't wait to find out if they were right or not. The murderer was in fact the next door neighbor!

Just "sitting back to enjoy the ride" is not a part of human nature. We are always trying to tie up loose ends, answer unanswered questions, and resolve unresolved mysteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment